I’m an activist, native Minnesotan, adventure lover, and professional agitator.
Since 2004, I’ve been working at the forefront of environmental health campaigns, working to eliminate toxic chemicals in consumer products through policy and market shifts. I’ve had the privilege to work with some of this country’s finest policy experts, grassroots organizing pros and movement builders. I cut my teeth on public health policy where I led advocacy campaigns in Minnesota (where we passed nation’s first ban on BPA in baby bottles and sippy cups, among other toxics related bills on phthalates, lead, and flame retardants).
From there I moved to Washington D.C. to help start, build and run Safer Chemicals, Healthy Families, the nation’s largest campaign working to remove toxic chemicals from consumer products. We successfully built a national campaign to update our federal laws on toxic chemicals, while simultaneously effectively working with the nation’s top ten leading retailers to address harmful ingredients in the products they sell.
After five years in Washington, I moved out West to spearhead the policy and advocacy work for one of the fastest growing, safer beauty brands. That’s my work by day.
But by night, I like to write on topics that are near and dear to my heart: environmental wins, safer beauty products, hot yoga tips, how to find safer products for your home, first hand accounts about how our democracy works and more.
My blog is broken down into the following categories:
- Healthy Food: Recipes for slackers, sustainable agriculture, the truth about processed food and more.
- Safer Products: Clean beauty, safer household cleaners, furniture, pots and pans and environmental wins.
- Democracy in Action: People and companies taking bold actions, feminism, ways to help change the status quo.
- Yoga: Funny stories to practical advice—no new-agey stuff.
- Shop: After years of working to avoid toxic chemicals, find out my favorite safer brands.
- Consulting: I’ve consulted with major brands, national advocacy organizations and small start ups, on topics ranging from safer products policy, strategic communications and messaging, and how to craft a winning campaign. Read more about my credentials on my LinkedIn page.
My work has also appeared in these publications: