Anyone who spent their formative years growing up in the early ’90s, knows the time we spent pouring over YM magazine, soaking up every new cool hair and beauty product. So as a safe skin care advocate, I thought it would be fun to look at some non-toxic beauty swaps and compare my beloved high school (and college) routine to what I use today.
I used EWG’s Skin Deep Database to find scores for the ingredient safety of these products to compare and contrast (Scale from 0-10, 10 being the most toxic). As a general rule of thumb, by my standards and EWG’s analysis, products that score 0-3 in the database are considered safe.
I should note that I’m not slamming any of the companies and products that I used to use, but more wanted to see how my skin care safety has increased as I learned more about harmful chemicals in consumer products. Many of the brands I used as a teenager are slowly “seeing the light” and are removing harmful ingredients, increasing transparency, and generally improving their formulas.
I am grateful that there are so many safer beauty swaps, my skin certainly thanks me.
Then: High School Skin Care Routine
- Noxzema – EWG Score 6
- Purpose Face Wash
- Sea Breeze Fresh & Clean Astringent – EWG Score 5
- Oily of Olay Moisturizer – EWG Score 4
- Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch Sunscreen – EWG Score 5
Now: Safer Skin Care
- Nourishing Cream Cleanser – EWG Score 2
- Countermatch Moisturizer (not yet rated)
- Plumping Peony Facial Mist #2 (not yet rated)
- Silk Therapeutics Advance C Serum – EWG Score 1
- Protect Sun Stick SPF 30 – EWG Score 1
Then: Perfume Laden Body
- Herbal Essence Shampoo & Conditioner – EWG Score 5
- Bath and Body Works Body Wash (not ranked but lots of undisclosed fragrance)
- Sun In Hair Lightening Spray – EWG Score 5
- Teen Spirit Deodorant Caribbean Cool (not rated)
Now: Clean Body
- Everyday Clean Shampoo – EWG Score 2
- Kid’s Conditioner – EWG Score 3
- Tom’s of Maine Lavender Deodorant – EWG Score 3
- Sea Salt Texturizing Mist – EWG Score 3
- Citrus Mimosa Bar Soap – EWG Score 1
Then: Teen Vogue Inspired Beauty
- Lip smackers – EWG Score 5
- Covergirl Lipslicks – EWG Score 6
- Maybelline Mascara – EWG Score 3
- CoverGirl Pressed Powder – EWG Score 4
- Clinique Makeup Remover
Now: Safer & Sophisticated Beauty
- Buff Lip Gloss – EWG Score 1
- Lengthening Mascara – EWG Score 2
- Scarlet Lipsheer – EWG Score 1
- Dew Skin Tinted Moisturizer SPF 20 – EWG Score 1
- Color Pinch Cream Blush – EWG Score 1
- Coconut Oil (as Makeup Remover)
What were your go-to beauty products in the 1990s and how many of the old habits still make their way into your daily routine? I’m here as a resource as you switch to safer products, questions? Ask away!
Never miss a post and join my mailing list.
More from my site